Friday, October 28, 2011

The Dark Post

Warning : A very dark, traumatic and chilling post ahead. Discretion Advised. Please quit reading/ viewing the very instant you feel overwhelmed. I apologize in advance if you get depressed after reading the entire post.   

The mood of the week has been synonymous with the weather; cold, dark and not to mention depressing. The weather can make a compelling excuse owing to the approaching winter but the cause for the gloomy mood can  squarely be pinned on the visit I made last weekend to the Concentration Camp in Buchenwald, East Germany.

I admit, I have been to morgue, a crematorium and an autopsy lab, I have seen death take away some of my loved ones but never before have I visited a place that has given me constant shivers down my spine by its mere remembrance. Buchenwald is one such place, located in the midst of thick woods, it was built by the Nazis to house political opponents, Jews, Homosexuals and Gypsies among others. Primarily an extermination through labor camp wherein inmates were made to slave 15 hours a day without much food, water or toilets. Death came by the dozens with an average of 200 odd people dying at the camp on a daily basis that a permanent crematorium had to be built there to dispose of the bodies.

The following photo was taken when the Allied Forces wrested Buchenwald from the Nazis. 

VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED.




                             A pile of human corpses outside the crematorium waiting to be burnt.



The Corpse Cellar


             

The Height Gauge in the Infirmary

One of the many Nazi extermination techniques was that a random inmate would be picked and sent to the infirmary for health inspection. The camp doctor there would ask him to stand against a height gauge to measure his height. Lying concealed to the inmate would be a hole in the wall of the height gauge which would help a shooter at point blank range standing by on the other end of the wall complete the task at hand. This apparently was designed for two benefits, the victim would never guess how his death might come about and the shooter would never have to face his victim. 



      

Just like the citizens at the end of the video, our expressions too assumed melancholic proportions with a young lady in our group passing out on seeing some of the exhibits kept at one of the exhibitions.  

Survivors of the holocaust were regarded very lucky, the following is an account of one such survivor.

 


I left Buchenwald wondering exactly how severe my problems were in comparison to what the inmates of Buchenwald must have gone through and realized what luxurious lives we lead; being able to live a life of limitless freedom without the thought of death looming large over our heads, getting to eat lavish meals without a bother in the world and being able to do what, when and how we please without fearing for our lives. 

At the end of it all, I only felt the gratefulness multiply for being blessed with such a positive upbringing that I surmise what hurt and pain the affected must have gone through and also realize how grossly important being humanitarian is.

Lets End this one on a happier note, shall we?


        
  Our Deepavali Spread, 15 of us got together and churned out the above. 

PS: It was only after this meal that I felt some reprieve from the gloom and melancholy.

Hope you all had an awesome Deepavali.   

29 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the video yet...don't think I will also...I was just watching Schindler's list...killing as a morning sport, on a whim or the turn of an evil-twisted mind is all potrayed there...the movie actually made me cringe then cry at the end. You know just yesterday I was telling how my house is like a concentration camp, all the freedom that you mentioned I have non of those actually...but saying so would be an insult to people who died/were killed out there!!! Sometimes I wonder how did Hitler ever manage to sleep. Did he never hear voices in his head, or were they just so many that he couldn't decipher any?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read so many books, articles, real-life experiences and seen movies on the holocaust but I've never been to an actual concentration camp. When the former itself has never failed to bring tears to my eyes (and sometimes made me want to throw up) and question how lucky we all are.. i can understand how this visit must have affected you.
    This reminds me of the movie 'The boy in the striped pyjamas'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand how you would have felt. When I watched The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, I was literally sobbing for a long time after the movie ended. And that was only just fiction. Actually being in the place where it all happened...

    There is some part of us that really cannot tolerate human suffering. And that there are so many of us, gives me hope for the world. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. aiyoo..this is so gory..
    hmm..i had started watching Schindler's List once..left it mid way since i didn't have the courage to continue further..
    Even Life Is Beautiful was a very touching movie..
    How did you manage to go through the entire visit..?
    i wouldn't have been able to even walk..
    we are indeed lucky to have been born in an era of gifted freedom and a good life..

    hmm..thnx a lot for puttting up the Diwali Pic..
    it actually helped me take my mind off the horror u just mentioned in your post..
    Happy Diwali..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to have put up a good spread and I hope it tasted as good as it looks but I'm sorry, it fails to lift the melancholy.

    And do NOT get me started on that ***h*l*, Hitler. Just don't.

    But then, nothing has changed over the ages has it? Afghanistan has similar scenes and some countries like Lithuania and Bosnia, far worse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I WILL NOT COMMENT ON THE NAZI THING. I WILL NOT. I AM ANGRY AND I AM AFFECTED. SO SILENCE IS BETTER.

    hmmmm.

    NICE SPREAD THOUGH! Men should know how to cook. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i did not watch the video! and killing someone from behind, well, not very manly is it. :|

    insane....apologies, i do not know what to say...it is kind of weird to think...and imagine all of it..

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Machi - Watch the video, its not very gory and will give you a clearer idea about Buchenwald. As for the voices in the Führer's head, he was convinced that he was doing the world a favor.

    @The Girl at First Avenue - Its some seriously bone chilling stuff. I plan to go to Ausschwitz some day, it was supposedly the most terrible among the many Camps.

    @Sumitra - I didn't sob on watching 'The Boy in Striped Pyjamas' but I'd be lying if I said it didn't affect me. The very same thing happened during my visit to Buchenwald as well, it gave being humane a whole new perspective.

    @Meoww - Well, I kept walking through the camp in sheer horror; picturing and imagining what it would have been like to be an inmate there. I`m glad you realize the amount of freedom we have these days and am also happy that the Diwali pic partially soothed the gloom caused by the post.

    @PeeVee, RED - I apologize for putting up such a depressing post in an otherwise gleeful festive season but it was eating away my insides. Appreciate the comment on the food and the spread. Yes, the food did taste as good as it looks and helped partially sooth the gloom.

    @TheBluntBlogger - Please watch the video, you'll understand the essence of the post a little better. Manly or not wasn't their conviction, Hitler was convinced that he was doing the world a favor by exterminating the Jews from the face of the planet. NO need for apologies madam.

    @ All - Please accept my sincere apologies for bringing gloom into your otherwise gleeful lives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is explained in the movie 'Life is Beautiful' too. That damned Hitler committed suicide cos he knew he will be killed in the most goriest of manner. Anyway, now that's done nothing can be done.

    That's quite a spread you have churned out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG!!! I can't believe what I just saw...How can a human being be so cruel and heartless?
    What did the Nazis get out of all this?
    They must be in hell....all of them... *Cursing*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like the 1st person to comment, I didn't see the video. I cannot muster the courage to.

    But you have done some awesome job with the post. People usually take up sensitive issues and make a soup out of them. You did well.

    I'm just glad that WWII put an end to this.

    and, what did YOU cook for the diwali spread? My brother made kheer for his :D Happy diwali man! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Sowmya - It is rumored that the Führer said 'If the war is lost everything is lost' before killing himself. This was only a part of the spread. Appreciate your coming by.

    @Manju - The Nazi's never saw themselves as mere human beings but as the so called 'Superior Race' hence the treatment. The fact that the entire top brass of the Nazi leadership committed suicide goes on to show how brave they really were. Thanks for coming by.

    @Express - Well like I said before, please do watch the video, would give you a clearer understanding of Buchenwald. Thank you so much for thinking that I've done a decent job with the issue. It was eating away my insides and hence had to be written about.

    The Palak Paneer on the extreme left and the Gaajar Halwa in the Orange colored Casserole Box were my contributions. Thanks for coming over.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh! This was pathetic.. how can people get so cruel.. I hope the Nazi's rot in hell.. well I'm sure they are.. I'm so glad you shared this though.. I had no freaking clue! I feel so numb.. and yes our problems are so small before theirs.. aahh :/

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Nazis were too preoccupied being the 'Superior Race' that Humanity didn't figure on their agenda. The tales of the Holocaust give more depth to the word ghastly than you can imagine. My apologies for causing the numb feeling.

    Welcome aboard, Thanks for coming by and reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh i did see the video now. the absence of emotion from the man's voice kinda drills a hole through u, neh?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww don't apologize... There are certain things we miss in life, too confined with the pleasures.. This was more of an eye-opener.. And I'm stalking(following) you, so don't thank.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Express - Sure does drill a gaping hole. Glad that you watched the video.

    @Confused Soul - I`m not too sure if this would qualify as an eye opener, but then it sure does make one think of someone other than oneself doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have seen pictures of the Holocaust and being a History student have been reading about it too.. I somehow found Hitler's life amusing but then the merciless, inhuman killings! Totally deprived of emotions. All they saw was purity of their race. An article by a German historian on Hitler was mind-blowing .. will get back to you if I find it on the net

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Holocaust was a nasty by product of the war and I too find Hitler's life amusing, he was impeccable in respects like strategy, administration and governance but for the killing of the Jews.

    The Nazi's were so hell bent on maintaining the purity of their race that at one point Hitler even ordered the women in the Nazi army to have unprotected coitus with their male comrades to increase the number of the so called 'pure bloods'.

    Would love it if you could get back to me with the article. Appreciate your reading this one and for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  20. buchenwald!!!... Holocaust.. aargghh Hitler.. hmmm .. actually the vid was fyn.. its d account of the survivor dat dsnt seem to fade away.

    P:s - the diwali luncheon and th epost an ironic sitn :) ...

    ReplyDelete
  21. The atrocities that he and the Nazis inflicted on society are known the world over but they are spoken in hushed tones even now in Germany.

    The idea of posting the Diwali spread was to tone down the depressing nature of the post which I now realize has backfired.

    Thanks for coming over and reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was reminded of Christiane Amanpour's 'Scream Bloody Murder!' when I read this. Absolutely haunting- and Elie Wiesel's interview in the same.

    On a +ve note, you've got a nice blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't come across both the items that you've mentioned. Will try and fish them out.

    Appreciate your reading this one and do keep coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am not sure if the image of food can help...such is the impact of the images of holocaust...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes Sir, I realize that. It was something of a last ditch attempt to mellow down the melancholy.

    It is a chapter in history that is relegated to hushed discussions and silent contemplation.

    Thanks for reading this one and for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  26. We had this chapter in history last year, in 10th grade for which we made a PPT and we had all dictators. And the Nazi stuff made us all go ewww and it was all just so sad. :(
    This sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The pain and suffering that it brought along does suck but helps us understand that its important to be a human first.

    ReplyDelete
  28. ohhh god! i saw the first image and stopped. thanks for the warning at the very start. i just couldn't get myself to read. the first image is still .... in my mind....and....its awful
    will read some other post
    sorry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's perfectly alright. It was soul sapping to visit such a place. I get the shudders just thinking what the inmates there would have had to undergo while physically being present there.

      Delete

Scribble Back to me