The withering leaves, chilly evenings and the morning frost on car windows are all indicative of the fact that winter is well and truly approaching. As a proud lazy head , I exercise my fundamental right to laze around, eat and sleep at any which time I deem right and rather aggressively, which by the way also makes me an efficient Lazy head. It is this very quality that has powered the research for this post.

Gentlemen and Rough ladies, I present to you this winter, my observations on Hibernators.
1. The Snoring Beauties :
This vintage category of hibernators have been famous since the time sliced bread was declared a breakthrough discovery. Infamous for disturbing the sleep, peace and mood of their co-hibernators they have quietly made a mark for themselves in the history books with the likes of Winston Churchill, Liz Taylor, Theodore Roosevelt among their ranks. The record for the world's loudest snore is held by a gentleman in the UK whose snores supposedly touched 92 dB which, if you must know is higher than government mandated noise levels for closed room offices in most parts of the western world.
The crests and troughs of their Snoring come in different frequencies, wavelengths and intensities to the keen observer while to the layman it is nothing but a bothersome hindrance to his bed time. The snoring also has a rhythm and a tempo to it which is uniquely characteristic of the snorer in question and also depends on the position and orientation of the snorer. Though traditionally this category has been a Gentleman's bastion but ever since Gender equality and the Feminist Revolution swept the world it is heartening to note that an army of snoring beauties are not far behind their male counterparts.
2. The Sleep Talkers :
They come a close second to the Snoring beauties in terms of popular sleep habits in Hibernators. Known and dismissed by many as incoherent and psychotic mumbling during bed time, sleep talking is said to stem from a deep rooted need to be heard to (We know why husbands and boyfriends mumble in their sleep) and hyper active brain which commands their voice boxes to give valiant speeches in their sleep; the courage for which might not be possible to muster in consciousness.
Second hand reports indicate that Yours truly allegedly comes under this category and is said to have spoken in 4 regional Indian languages apart from German and Dutch in a single night's performance. Although the evidence is highly disputable and circumstantial as the reporters could have been dreaming or half asleep all along and it is really difficult to judge.
3. The Kickers :
Second runner up's in the hibernation world, these wannabe footballers and kick boxers are known to practice their art form in bed. From varying intensities and angles they use their feet to generate forces and momentum to mark their territory on the bed pushing anyone and anything irrespective of size, shape or stature out of their beds.
Beware when sleeping next to a swimmer or a track athlete who kicks in his/her sleep, you're either in for a rough night of very little sleep or if you are intelligent enough, you'll find a cozy couch to crash on for the night. Cutting to the chase, save yourself before its too late and you are cursed to a life of Insomnia.
4. The Wall Clocks :
They are a slightly rare bunch of sleepers to notice unless you experience them first hand. A Wall clock sleeper is one who sleeps in a straight or sideways position at the beginning of one's bed time but with every passing hour he/she changes position like the hour hand of the wall clock to end up waking up on the vertically opposite end of the bed. Their ability to change the sleeping orientation aided by additional skills such as rolling, self aligning and spreading their hands a La SRK comes naturally to them and also gets refined over time and experience.
5. The Quilt Pullers :
This is the most infamously sought after category of sleepers after the snorers. Here you are drifting away to Slumberland and pop goes the quilt suddenly, leaving you shivering like someone suffering from a bout of Fits in the middle of the night. They are usually the culprits when long quilts are at play and are tricky customers to handle. They keep committing the same crime over and over throughout the night without even changing their M.O (Modus Operandi) which leaves you with no option but to pull the quilt away from them with your eyes half shut which believe me can get really difficult if a critical part of the quilt is under a bulky co-sleeper.
6. Light Sleepers :
They are one half of the more commonly known traditional sleeping stereotypes.
Light sleepers are those poor souls (me included) who's sleep gets hindered by the smallest of things be it the slightly noisy flickering of a street light to the bawling of a toddler two blocks away. They are sensitive to alarms, watches, cell phone beeps and even the switching on/off of the night lamp. They can usually be found sleeping at anytime during the day but in short phases after which they are woken up by one distraction or the other.
7. Heavy Sleepers :
Sleep comes to them irrespective of a thunderstorm happening outside their windows or the world coming to an end because of a horrendous Nuclear war, they will happily continue doing their business.
It is in reality a Herculean task to wake such people up from their deep slumber, tried and tested techniques like tapping their shoulders, shaking them or calling out their names is of no help at all; unconventional techniques like getting the doggy or the cat to lick their faces or letting the bright sunshine glare their eyes after pulling out the quilt from their grasp so that they cannot shield themselves anymore, work like a charm.
What kind of Sleeper are you?
I fall into the 'Curled up like a prawn' category. I cannot sleep in any other position. In fact, my back problem has aggravated due to this excessive curling up.
ReplyDeleteOh and to sleep on winter mornings, cuddled up under the warm blanket.. Bliss... I'm just waiting for winter to come calling. It still seems like summer here. :(
I'm the quilt puller, literally and also have traits of the Wall Clocks. Twisting turning in all possible angles.. heheh.. and the winter's made me super lazy.. I don't feel like getting out of the bed man.. Btw what kind of sleeper are you? :)
ReplyDeleteWhy don't I get a category? Isn't there a normal, un-disturbing sleeper?
ReplyDeleteYou generalising type of person, you. Hmph.
hehe I m a quilt puller :) I somehow kick off my own quilt and pull others :D :D :D I sleep alone so I don't cause much damage:D
ReplyDeleteAlso i m a pillow hugger.. I need a pillow to hug :D :D
Actually you should avoid sleeping in the day altogether then you will get undisturbed sleep.. I used to be a lightsleeper once and ever since I started skipping my afternoon snooze I started sleeping better :) :)
I fall under the last category :( Apocalypse might happen and yet I can continue my blissful journey in La La land!
ReplyDeleteYour description of the Sleep Talkers is hilarious! :D
My category varies depending on where I sleep. If it is my own bed, then I am the Wall Clock category and I can come under the deep sleeper category too. However, there is no need of unconventional methods to wake me up.Every Category I-have-been-there,-Done-that! except light sleepers, snoring beauties and sleep talkers. :)
ReplyDeleteGood post :)
http://keirthana.in/blog
I am five and six :-D
ReplyDeleteI can nor believe you made me read about snoring eeww :-P
@Ms Spiff - Curled up like a prawn seems like a cozy position to sleep in. Winter morning sleep is parallel to nothing else.
ReplyDelete@Confused Soul- Karma sometimes blesses Quilt pullers and Alarm clocks with Sleep Kickers you know. A contest between these three categories would be something to look forward to. Like I mentioned in the post, I`m a sleep talker who talks in 5 different languages.
@Isha- No need to feel left out, I reckon knowingly or unknowingly you'll fit into one or more of the patterns described here.
@Maithili - Pushing yours off and pulling someone else's, No wonder you sleep alone :P.
I`m sort of a Pillow hugger too, difference being I bury my head under it instead of holding it. As a lazy head its one of my superpowers to sleep at will, so irrespective of my taking a long afternoon siesta the minute the clock strikes 10 I start yawning.
@KSS - You're among the blessed one's, may insomnia never touch you. Thanks a lot.
@Keirthana - You are a versatile sleeper then. One generally grows into a light sleeper as one gets older. As for the snoring and sleep talking, it is given only to a chosen few :P.
Thanks for coming by and do keep coming over.
@TheBluntBlogger - We have another culprit and come on, you got to have a heart for the poor snorers. Thanks for coming by.
yess..yes..and yesss..m finally commenting...
ReplyDelete*wide grin showing 30 white sparkling teeth*
(i sacrificed 2 due due to braces yeh know) :D
aaaann..i am actually a combination of some of those..
i have blabbered blah in moi sleep..
i remember telling "amma..give house key to hawaldar" though iduno wat it was all about..
i have been infamous for kicking the life outta people in my sleep when i was a kid..
once i had landed a neat kick on appa's tummy when i was in 2nd..
i got nicely whacked for disturbing his sleep and also he hasn't taken the risk of sleeping besides me ever since :D
m not a quilt puller u know..
but the quilt will be down on the floor when i get up :P:P
and i am a light sleeper too..
fan speed changes i get up
light on i get up
someone turns pages of book and all i get up..
sighh
owwwww...there be one more category too yeh know...
it be the Sleep Walker..
luckily i am not a victim of that..
but i had a friend who used to be that way when she was a kid..!!
once her parents found her sleeping on the kitchen counter in the morning..
yehh she had trudged all the way from the bedroom to the kitchen in her sleep..
hahahah...
hmmm...nicee post macha :D
and aaahaan..new blog look and all..
me likes..:D:):D
cheers..!!
:P :P i think i sleep depending on how tired i am.. :P :P
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty much a light sleeper and the street lamp rite outside my window is enough to p me off when i really want to sleep in the 'darrrk'...
but during one of the study trips, i was in such a deep sleep that my friends actually pulled me out of the bed and i still slept and apparently i slapped one of them for waking me up and they got really scared to even try waking me up after that and decided to empty a bottle of water on my face! :P
and i just can't sleep if the room isn't locked.. i dunno why, but i just.can't.sleep.peacefully..
Nice post btw! ;) :P :P ..
I am definitely a Heavy Sleeper... You scream, shout, burst bombs right beside my ear - nothing can wake me up once I am in deep sleep. Except if you hit me or start shaking me.
ReplyDeleteAnd like Spiff I fall under the curl-up category too... :P
I need two pillows, a dozen of my stuffed people (I'll refrain from calling them toys for I don't play with them), my mother's shirt, my charger and phone, a book, my specs case, earphones and chocolate wrappers under my pillow to sleep.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm a heavy sleeper, one who doesn't awaken till my roomie switches on the light; that's when I wake up like I was shot and grumble all the way to the bathroom for I detest light when I'm sleeping.
I'm sure that was TMI on my sleeping habits:P
I have worked out what I like about your writing style: the way you present simple things with such elan. That's what.
I am a bit of all.. or more exactly to say I have a history of being all of these. let me explain.
ReplyDeleteI am usually suffering from blocked nose and hence those night i end up snoring..!!
though I have disagreed over and over again people have said that i was found guilty of explaining pool table rules, reciting multiplication tables and other nonsense in my sleep
My parents say that when i was a kid, i used to kick and box with them in my sleep sue to which they were forced to make me sleep alone. Now since i sleep alone, I dont think I do that anymore but well some times i do wake up with a bump on my head or my legs and fists paining :D
my current situation is the wall clock. I tend to rotate, cover and move around in my sleep. start point and ending points are never the same.
Since I always need a quilt over me to sleep my cousin when we were kids have complained me being a quilt puller. now a days, i get up as soon as i dont find my quilt on me or not in my surrounding to pull
My absence of quilt and i am up. basically, any place other than my room at home i tend to sleep light. but when at home am least bothered about anything. i sleep deep and very deep..!!!
there you go..!! all covered :D i am an all rounder.. hehehehehhehehhe :)
@Meoww - I`m glad you could finally type out such a long and bubbly comment. It made my Sunday morning.
ReplyDeleteYou can remember what you sleep spoke? How awesome is that? Hi-5, I`m a sleep talker too.
Becharey Daddy, Pet pey laath kha baithay.
My moment of craziness --> I once tiptoed into the kitchen for a midnight snack(chocolate mousse cake)and my mother came in suddenly for some water, in my failed attempt to fake sleepwalking, I ended up getting a earful because she found some chocolate on my cheek.
You like the new look, Sachi??? Appreciate your reading this one and your coming over.
@Viya - Sleep on the night before an exam or the day of an assignment/project is blissful even if it is just for a couple of minutes.
My sister is just like you; cannot sleep unless the door remains shut and creates a racket every morning when we wake her up.
Thanks for coming by and reading this one.
@TheGirlAtFirstAvenue - I wish I were more like you, would atleast get my quota of beauty sleep that way.
Now that you and Ms Spiff mention it, I`m going to try the Curl up thingy, it seems cozy and comfy.
Appreciate your input and your coming by.
@Priyanka - Given that you have so many 'Assets' on your bed,If you don't mind me asking, Where is it that you find the area to place yourself?
If you're woken up by lights, you qualify as a Light Sleeper and no worries, that was not TMI.
elan? really? Thanks for that; Still grinning from ear to ear like a Jackass.
As always, a delight having you here and commenting.
@Superrrnickk - Praying that I got the r's and k's perfectly.
You sir, are indeed the Proverbial All round sleeper. You snore, sleep talk, kick, pull quilts, wall clock and deep sleep. Hats off to you.
Multiplication tables in your sleep speech, think I have done that as well.
Awesome to have you defending your All Round Sleeper status, You get the cake with the icing.
Thanks for the comment and for coming over Buddy.
not bad....atrocious....not a bad classification at all.....:-)
ReplyDeletehey dude..!! your blog is an assured good read for me.!! there is no way i miss your posts :)
ReplyDeleteI am a mixture and HEAVY SLEEPER+ SLEEP TALKER+ SLEEP GET U[ AND SCREAM AND SCARE PEOPLE.
ReplyDeleteYes I am kind of into somnambulism except the walking part. But I did get up ones and start screaming with my quilt on top of my head.
Yes!
Awesome post
Sry for commenting late!!!!
I am a heavy sleeper. But sometimes a light sleeper. I don't talk or walk :P But sometimes yes,I steal the blanket. :D
ReplyDeleteI talk in my sleep, I even cry. I need at least three pillows! :D
ReplyDelete@Rahul - Thanks Mate, Great to have you here.
ReplyDelete@Superrrnickkk - I hope I continue writing stuff that gives you a good read. Thanks for the encouragement buddy.
@Red - Late or not, you know you're always welcome here right.
You Scream like in the dead of the night? Oh my, I`m getting jitters just thinking what it would be like to hear you scream. I pity your roomies.
@Blahblaholic - Black Sheep, another Blanket stealer. You're missing out by not talking, its such fun you know :D
@Anuranjani - That's a beautiful name you've got.
Hi-5, sleep talkers rock. But crying,while you're asleep?
Thanks for coming by and reading this one.
Hahaha! This is a pretty awesome post. I am a light sleeper and well, also I distract-you-and-dont-let-you-sleep sleeper if I am not sleepy and there's someone around :S
ReplyDeleteLight sleeper - Hi Faive but we have a slight disadvantage when it comes to sleep continuity and when it gets disturbed, we automatically assume your trait - Distract you and dont let you sleep.
ReplyDeleteThanks for coming by and reading this one.
:D
ReplyDeleteI'm someone who believes in power-naps. Yes, anything between 15mins to 2 hours is fine with me. I catch up during free days (read weekends) but even then, cannot possibly sleep for beyond 6 hours.
and funnily, i sleep on my tummy.
Bear anyone?
haha!
Same pinch, I sleep on my tummy as well and Power naps are characteristic of Light Sleepers, so I`m guessing you're one too?
ReplyDeleteWhere is the Somnambulist dude? :D
ReplyDeleteMissed out on that one Macha. My bad.
ReplyDeleteam the Heavy Sleeper..Come what may i dun care..I dunno..all i know is my sleep...
ReplyDeletemast pozt..majja aa gaya..
zzzzzzzzzzz
Too many of you heavy sleepers.
ReplyDeleteGlad that you liked it.
light sleeper with the sleep talker thrown in once in a blue moon(esp durin exams) :P....
ReplyDeleteOh we all just squish together (read: they are get squished under my rhino self):P
ReplyDelete@ Menachery - Hi-5, same as. Perhaps a more regular sleep talker.
ReplyDelete@DK - You have quite a cozy sleeping setup there.
hahahha enjoyed this one
ReplyDeletei think i WAS the clock once upon a time but now i am the quilt puller with a dose of the heavy sleeper :)
i am still laughing at some of the sentences you wrote here.....:DDD
I am told by the mother that I was an ex-clock as well.
DeleteSuper Glad that you liked it.