Homosexuality in the motherland has assumed a whole new perspective in the past few years. With increased awareness in the print, television and online media, the resistance towards this concept has weakened considerably with time and is definitely gaining more acceptance by the day which not only indicates that we are evolving as a society but is proof enough that humanity is alive and kicking.
As with any new concept, there is a certain degree of misunderstanding and opposition that comes as a package deal. For instance, when the Live-In relationship started gaining prominence; the conservatives dismissed it as a passing cloud that would not survive the test of time but reality as we know it is strikingly different.

In the post Dostana era, when people are more open to the idea of accepting homosexual roommates or co-workers for that matter; much good has been done for the homosexual fraternity but there seems to be trouble brewing for the singles aka 'people like myself'. Why, you ask?
Reasons underscoring why life as we know it has become tortuous post the Dostana era for Singleton's/Singletini's
1. You cannot call your best friend - boyfriend anymore. The word Boyfriend's exclusive copyrights now belong to the ladies and gays apparently. Despite that, if you still do use it, what ensues is a cluster of mocking innuendos with you as the central target.
2. Hugging has become taboo suddenly; even a lightning quick 1.5 second hug with a pat on the back. What was totally appropriate 3 years ago, now stands restrained or even relegated.
3. A Handshake between 2 perfectly straight gentlemen does not last for more than 3 seconds. Any longer and either or both gentlemen will shake the other palm off them lest they come across as homosexual to each other and the world.
4. If you thought homo's are changing the socially accepted convention only for the gentlemen, think again because Female royalty also have a problem with homosexual nomenclature; because Gays are stealing away their limelight as they are also called Queens.
5. If you thought Gays were making only single guys uncomfortable you're probably wrong. Single ladies seem to be the most affected lot because they find it difficult to tell the gay men from the straight men. Don't believe me?
Read one affected soul's heart rendering anecdote here.
Its no surprise that the line - All desirable things in life are either illegal, banned, expensive, married to someone else or gay is among the most popular one liners of the decade gone by.
6. A Single guy/girl above a certain cut-off age(varies from region to region) is automatically perceived to be leaning towards homosexuality under the guise of him/her being in the aforementioned state of singleness.
7. Anyone with a noticeable lisp is pronounced to be gay irrespective of the justification given by the said individual.
8. Ear piercing in men has been a regularity for sometime now; a ear piercing on the wrong side and bang, they are termed fruity.
On a closing note, I leave you with a strikingly different perception of the homosexual conundrum.
PS: This write up is not aimed to anger or instigate any of our homosexual friends; is meant to be taken only in jest. However if any part of the write up offends you personally, please do write in.
PS 1: What got me thinking was the absurdity behind this article:
What do you think are some other common misunderstandings?
Was this supposed to be a serious post?:P Sorry, I was lol-ing out at some parts.
ReplyDeleteThe moment I read homosexual in the headline, I thought of Joey, only to scroll down and find his eminent presence gracing your page:D
Points one through seven are valid, in more ways than one can possibly elaborate on.
Last point though, seriously? A few very 'macho' guys in my class have piercings.
On a serious note, why do people have so many opinions in this topic? As in with the people in power? And what's with all the the legislation, acceptance speeches, hatred, protests and what not? Why do people think that it's within their rights to tell other people who to screw. It's almost like telling them to follow a particular religion.
Gah.
Its a crazy world out there! What was once considered normal practise is soon going to count as unusual and absurd.
ReplyDeletehahahaha..awwwwwwwwwwwww
ReplyDeletepooor pooor poooooooor uuuuuu..
sighh.. ican understand the agony and pain of being an honest , simple , truthful , SINGLE GUY..
the difference between a guy..and a gay..is errmmm..JUST ONE LETTER..:P:P:P
dont ya worry myyy bwaayy..
the world may be cruel out there..but there are some nice people around as well..
and you will find your way..
YOU WILLLLLLL..!!!
okkkkkkkkkkkkkk...i made no sense i know..
nice post..
naaaaaaaiiiicee..
and RED's post..
bwahahhaa...that post..bwahahahahhaha
LMAO!
ReplyDeleteTrue man! All the points were through and through, correct!
and THIS "All desirable things in life are either illegal, banned, expensive, married to someone else or gay"....! Dil ko choo gayi! :P :P
Such a tough world out there, na?? :P
Point 5: so true, i had a huge CRUSH on this hawt guy who ehem was gay, and is now seeing best friend(was green with envy then)
ReplyDeleteHugging , handshake , :D ... serious .. lmao ...nahh i guess its just a notion ...
but yea, cz f d homosexual men esp in the modelling industry, most of my male friends had to give em the 'handshake' ..
what exactly was that article again ?? i cdnt even draw a connection!!! i guess all these hate speech n "they are not normal" dialogue rendering people need to take a hike nad mayb spend more tym wt thr children and ensure that thy arnt gay as well (real incident) ..:D ...
anyways, i guesa m ghoing on ranting ... before i stray again, funny post, and joey's video was just what rendered the perfect finish..
Ear piercing on the wrong ear! True true true!!!!! But lisp really???!!!
ReplyDeleteand hand shaking beyond 2 sec :P...true dat! But I see so many guys walking around holding pinky fingers!! I know they arent gay, but we give them that label :P
Awesome post sirjee! and the video is my all time fav !! FRIENDS awesome!!
omg, I simply cannot believe the article that was the inspiration behind this post! :O
ReplyDeleteAnd I can fully agree with point 2- having studied in a girls' school, it suddenly became really awkward to hug friends hahaa!
@PeeVee - No it wasn't supposed to be a serious post at all. I`m glad you had a laugh at certain parts; I can now breathe easy that you have gotten the essence of the post which I must admit I was very skeptical about.
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading this one and your comment.
@Shadia - That's the face of an ever changing world for you.
Appreciate your comment and your coming by.
@Aditi - It is -4 C outside and your comment warmed me up like a cup of hot chocolate, thank you for that.
I`m extra glad that you understand the agony and pain of being simple and single; no worries you actually made a lot of sense. Red's post is lege-waitforit-dary right?
Thanks again for the warm comment and your coming over, an absolute pleasure having you over here.
and ofcourse Cheers :)
@Paanipuri Lover - That one liner pretty much sums up our lives in this day and time, doesn't it?
Appreciate your inputs and your coming by.
@Menachery - See, told you they were making it difficult for you ladies as well :P.
The article got me drawing a parallel between the rationale behind homosexuality causing lady drivers in Saudi Arabia and the essence of this post--> problems faced by single people post the Dostana Era; the common denominator is the ludicrousness behind both of them. Get it?
Thanks for taking the time to write in and reading this one.
@Red - Lisp thing is another wrongly spread myth which has apparently caught on and is plaguing us single people these days.
The branding of single people as gay/lesbian based on some or all of these signs is what this write up aims to dispel.
Glad you liked reading this one.
@KSS - I`ve explained the article's inspiration in response to Menachery's comment, kindly read it up there.
That's happening in girls' schools as well? Real shame.
Appreciate your comment and your coming by.
LOL. Nice one!
ReplyDeleteAll points that you mentioned are true.. unfortunately.
I mean.. a hug is just a hug. Why categorize people based on even THAT?
If it weren't so silly I would be extremely pissed off!
LOL! Interested in the biggest co-incident ever? I load ur new post and my itunes library shuffles to "i kissed a girl" by Katy perry :-/
ReplyDeleteBut yea, quite a few valid point u've raised, My sympathies with u, i guess. I have never understood what was so funny about 'being gay' though. The common misunderstandings are certainly when guys wear pink or girls hold hands when they walk..
and don't we just love Joey!
Nice Post!
ReplyDeleteThe FRIENDS bit, I love it! It's one of my favourites.
People, especially guys are paranoid about the gay thing. I have a friend who will not order colourful mocktails because he might be perceived as gay.
I hate the way gay people are portrayed in Hindi films, especially Madhur Bhandarkar ones. Sort of twisted, overly effeminate and comical. Not good.
@Chandana- Unfortunately we live in a world that judges our every single move, even a hug. The worst thing is its not silly and funny all the time.
ReplyDeleteThanks for writing in and for coming by.
@Express - Wicked coincidence indeed.
See its those very misunderstandings that I`m talking about and Joey is GOD ain't he?
Thanks for the comment and for reading this one.
@Sumitra - Good that you get the point and totally with you on the being paranoid part.
Agree that gay folks are stereotyped in the movies and not in a good way.
Thanks for reading this one and coming by.
This is great! It's light, refreshing and OH-SO-TRUE! I had a ball just reading this!
ReplyDeleteOn a serious note though, I can totally relate to this because Malaysia has always been an uber homophobic country. What more, we have recently banned homosexual gatherings aimed at educating public. It's horrendous but that's the stupid world we're living in.
Good one :) If people could just live their lives by their choice without unnecessary interference, most of these controversies would disappear. I feel so. Why should anyone be so curious in labeling others when his life is as shitty as it could ever be?
ReplyDeleteJoey's clip - Just love it :) He rocks forever :)
@Darsh - Glad you had a nice time reading this one and could relate to it.
ReplyDeleteThis vicious circle of judging fellow human beings certainly needs a shake up for the better and I sure hope that happens sooner rather than later.
Welcome aboard and thanks for coming by.
@Keirthana - You've hit the nail bang on the head, courting and creating controversy in other people's lives has become a full time hobby for many.
Joey is right up there, isn't he?
Appreciate your comment and your coming by.
hahaha!! great one - and just loved joey there!!
ReplyDeleteI love the quote :) It's so true. Most of the good looking gays turn out to be gay nowadays :P
ReplyDeleteEverybody loves Joey :D
*good looking guys turn out to be gay nowadays
ReplyDelete@Nirvana - Thanks for coming by and reading this one.
ReplyDelete@Philo - The quote rings a bell with almost everyone I guess.
Yes, unfortunately for you ladies, most of the good fish seem to be out of bounds(either taken or gay):P
Appreciate your comment and your coming over.
This made for a good read. It did. Loved it. Sad situation really. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteThis made a really good read! Every point was just unarguably true here! And the main problem that goes unobserved is, if two girls hug and peck each other, then it's "straight"! And if two guys do even 20% of it, then people start tagging them as homosexuals!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful world! :D
@Zeba - The world is so out there to get our backs :P. Glad you liked reading this one and thanks for coming by.
ReplyDelete@Siddhartha - Totally concur with you brother, absolute height of double standards, ain't it?
Funny world indeed.
Welcome aboard and thanks for reading this one.
Completely agree! In fact I know girls who think twice, or maybe even more, before referring to someone as their girlfriend!! Weird how things can change in a short span of time!
ReplyDeleteAnd ear piercing is so true! Actually I too strain my neck and see if the guy has pierced both his ears, in case I see only his right ear first :P
See, this is exactly what I was getting at.
ReplyDeleteWith the world going to end in 2012; the least we can do is make it a better place for everyone to live, right?
Welcome aboard and thanks for coming by.
I totally agree.You don't hold hands or hug or friends(of the same sex).That reminds me of a post I can write.
ReplyDeleteDada fan?Fan since 1996 till death do us apart.I had a big poster of him from Sports Week stuck on my bedroom wall till I finished college..
Do write it soon, would love to read another perspective.
ReplyDeleteYes, Dada fan till death do us apart and preferably even in the next birth(if any :P). My room was filled with his posters till I left for my masters.
Welcome aboard and thanks for reading this one.
Haha..nice. :)
ReplyDeleteBe back for more..
Glad you liked it.
ReplyDeleteWelcome aboard and thanks for coming by.
Some of the best guys are indeed too old, gay or married. Its a ridiculous fact.
ReplyDeleteThere are homophobics too. They scare me more than homosexuals.
ROFL to the best guys being old,gay or taken, unfortunately it is the ridiculous truth.
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading this one Oracle.