Saturday, February 23, 2013

Stop... or my Mum Will Click

This post by the newly wed Spaceman Spiff (Congrats again - btw) got me pondering. 

You and I definitely fall into the definition of the Computer/Internet Era. Everything that works for us today is achieved by the push of a button and life without a computer is unfathomable. Our parents though were part of a different age but unfortunately ended up having to spend the prime portion of their professional lives in the Computer Era; this crossover wasn't smooth for many.    



For instance, Amma was and still is averse to technology like a rash to human skin. She and technology are like the North and South poles of a magnet - never on one side even if they wanted to be. This however does not necessarily mean that she works around the desktop at home. She did learn, albeit grudgingly to not only use basic packages that came under the standard installation bouquet but also a couple of specialized packages which helped her finish her Doctoral thesis; suffice to say she stumbled along the way a bit but learn she did and the hard way at that.

Learning to use a computer and mobile phone according to her was in a way harder than writing her doctoral dissertation which in turn meant that we used to be beckoned to 'See why it isn't working' and get our regular dose of laughter watching her experiment with technology. She now uses a high end smartphone which she claims doesn't text properly because ' she presses one letter and something completely different appears'. She also religiously charges the phone for 8 hours in the night and keeps tabs on us - ie her offspring via her Facebook page - so much for teaching her how to use it. The fact that she doesn't quite understand why people post funny cat videos and meme's on a daily basis is a completely different matter.   

When one usually advances along the hierarchical ladder - one is expected to take up diverse responsibilities. So was the case with Amma - being a professor meant that she had to account for more publications and presentations in her field of work. So she started spending time on Online Journals, E-libraries and Google Scholar which helped ease her work. This is what happens when I was helping with one of her papers.

1. Background: It is past 9 PM.

Amma: Can you check why this page is not opening on the browser. It is an E-library page and I have been trying to access the journals on this library for the past 20 minutes.

Before I could answer, she concludes: Maybe they're closed for the night.

The fact that I didn't know whether to laugh or cry summed up my reaction.


2. A heated discussion is on between the father and the mother one evening.

Amma: Are you sure I won't lose any data?

Appa : I`m positive - you don't lose data when you change a monitor.


In the end it is heartening to see her actually try and master things like Skype, chat applications and voice calling because she can now reach me at will despite being thousands of kilometers away without having to depend on someone to set it up for her. Even if it means that she forgets the time difference and wakes me up in the middle of a bitingly cold night to tell me the maid didn't turn up today.



   



                

28 comments:

  1. hahahaha!!!! Such a cute post. And an even cuter Mom! But hats off to her that she manages to keep tab of all the technology :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mothers are soooooo cute!! Well this is the story of all the superiors of my family....esp my Dadi :D. She thinks that e-mail also needs one to go to a post office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its is indeed heartening to see them try and learn the ropes of something that we take for granted.

      Delete
  3. Too cute these Ammas are, no? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed, it's so cute seeing them learn how to use all this technology. :) My amma, for instance, started using facebook much before I did. :/ :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute it is and mine has recently taken to facebook.

      Delete
  5. haha :D but she is making an effort AS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She tries earnestly and very hard - I give you that Jas.

      Delete
  6. Same case here with my mom though she is just starting. It took so much time for me to just get started because she is afraid that she might mess the computer up when I am not around. Took a great deal of time and effort to make her feel that it is okay even if something happens. :)

    Moms! What do they not do to fit in and understand our life and the ways that come with it :) Nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to give them points for trying to fit in - they try with all their heart. I completely concur with you on that.

      Delete
  7. bwahahahahaha...!!!
    awwwwwwwwest this !!!
    "Ammas" are the cutest creations of god..!! Soon I will be starting a Computer crash course at home for mother india!
    i need all the luck in the world to hit the bull's eye.
    i am sure i will encounter enough such adorably hilarious moments then :)
    felt nice reading here after long :)
    Cheers mate !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May your project come through with flying colors.

      Delete
  8. My mom gave up on electronic gadgets long ago. And I too never forced her to learn. She knows how to play music and videos on the PC. Period.:-)

    My dad called me once when I was in a meeting. I just cut the call and put the mobile on silent mode. When I came out of the meeting there was a text message from my dad saying, "If busy send me a message". I actually felt like shouting, "My Dad sent me a text message. My Dad."

    My grandparents can say 'Computer'. And they also know I work on a computer. Thats more than I can ask for. But they think I get paid for typing words on it.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are completely justified in wanting to shout out loud - I felt that way the first time my grandpa sent me an email.

      Delete
  9. I'd say making them learn how these technologies work is an endless project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah this is adorable! Had to teach my grandma how to skype. If you're any kind of engineer and you can't fix everything in the household she will label you off as a useless vagabond.

    :| I don't know how it works, but it does

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me - being a mechanical engineer - I get that a lot.

      Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  11. So relatable. My mom wants me to teach her each and everything before I go off to college in 2 months! I like your blog a lot! :)

    Love,
    Krittika

    xx

    http://krittikabarua.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you could relate to the post.

      Welcome here and thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  12. It is as if you just described my mom's endeavors with technology! The last time I remember, my mother and grandmother were gossiping about one of my aunties about how she has gotten rather disloyal and they suspected her of cheating. Turns out my aunt had shared some post about a prostitute's dark past.
    Technology indeed has impacted us deeply, and your post is so relatable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technology changes lives, they said and How - they conveniently forgot to mention that.

      Welcome aboard and thanks for coming by.

      Delete

Scribble Back to me