Friday, May 11, 2012

Wait for it - Now wait some more

Ladies and the one Gentleman who read this space, you know who you are - I have news for you; I am the alive (thanks for the yawn) and have been on a mundane streak with absolutely nothing to share on this space which ideally means that the contents of the hand tissue that you cleaned your lip with after lunch would have been more interesting than the stuff I would have littered here. 

Now that we have that sham of an excuse in place, I`m going to come out with the truth - I always knew this was going to happen sooner or later and its finally caught up with me. Its No 2 on my list of nightmares after Judgement Day 2012 which we all know to be the Gospel truth but I`m going on a tangent here because the issue at hand is something we popularly know as Yips or Writer's Block.




Any amount of time spent staring at the screen does not seem to help because the idea's are simply not flowing or at best I end up writing incoherent meaningless stuff that have a stench worse than the main line of the Metropolitan Sewage system which I wouldn't want to read myself let alone subjecting you folks to it. 

I was someone who presumed until now that writer's block was a figment of one's failure to imagine and generate new idea's but let me assure you that is as real as tooth decay which needs a painful root canal apart from the nagging ache that disrupts your daily routine. What makes this fascinating and frustrating at the same time is that Writer's block has no parallel; Eater's don't experience Eaters block nor do walkers experience walkers block then why is it such a pain in the hind?    

Various techniques ranging from spending time in the most creative room in the world - the loo to taking hour long showers to this have all been tried and they all failed with flying colors. I really am at wits end staring at the seemingly tangerine bucket that seems to mock at me for not kicking it.


I even tried writing a poem, be forewarned that I suck at poetry and never really understand it.

Here are the words I sing,
Evil is a horrid thing,
I sing sing sing,
Dinga linga ling.

See, I even made them rhyme - Go on shoot me now; You have unrestricted permission.

Does anybody know what to do to kick Writer's Block on its hind?
          

48 comments:

  1. Here are the words I sing,
    Evil is a horrid thing,
    I sing sing sing,
    Dinga linga ling....

    It qualifies for a nursery rhyme. :) Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this become a nursery rhyme - the future sure looks bleak my friend :D.

      Delete
    2. No it has a good message for the kids...
      'evil is a horrid thing'

      And for the adults, 'Dinga Linga Ling' is always there.

      I get reminded of 'Ringa Ringa Roses' :)

      Delete
    3. Whatever makes you happy Doc :P.

      Delete
  2. ahahahahha...the poem was kinda cute :P .. aww shoot.. umm did I rhyme? :D...
    Okay so writers block is real and I've been through that phase myself.. I think you should take a break..yeah a longer one of need be... and write about something.. anything.. save it in your drafts...trust me the urge to write will be back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The block is more like magic because the moment I sit to type out the ideas I have - Its like I`m in the exam hall.

      Maybe I should try saving drafts, Thanks for that.

      Delete
  3. ha ha.. you have even made a writer's block sound so interesting... :D
    Gulp your gloom in orange juice now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. And for writer's block, I usually let the ideas rest... sometimes half done... I have found reading books helpful too... but some like to go away from writing reading altogether... so on a weekend, do something away from your computer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the ideas to rest; there should be some in the first place, right? That's the whole problem.

      I`ve tried the computer and internet detox - they don't work either. Maybe its a phase and will pass away.

      Thanks for the inputs Jas.

      Delete
  5. I am a copywriter by profession and all hell breaks loose when I am hit.
    The last time I got a writer's block I went out and had a glass of Musambi juice. Why don't you give it a try? :D

    I simply lou-ed that poem. Seriously! Dinga dinga :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't get Musambi Juice out here but I think Orange Juice should do the trick as well - will definitely give it a shot.

      *facepalm's self for putting that poem*

      Delete
  6. Ok so I m the all time victim or writer's block so I can give you a few tricks to still keep the blog running:
    Keep reading other's blog and write your opinions on the same topic!
    Do random tags and forward them to fellow bloggers
    Write about an old memory
    and last but not the least - give away award :P
    Hope this helps :D :D

    P.S : Poetry was cute even if it dint make sense :D :D D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe Maithili :D
      Good suggestions- specially the award and tag thingy! :P

      Delete
    2. hahaha...now I can stop wondering why so many awards are landing on my blog!! and guys, the funniest part is all the three of you i.e. maithili, CD and AS are on my last awardee list- together!!!!! LOL!! ( but on a serious note, I love ur blogs guys! sachhi)

      and AS don't think about writing, the more u think the less u write, the mind needs to be free, leave it free and u'll find thoughts running to it...

      Delete
    3. @Maithili - That is why I don't write poems. Will keep your ideas in mind if it gets any worse than this. Thanks

      @The Little Princess - Thanks for loving the blog - it loves you back as well.

      If I don't think about idea's, be warned that you will have to read more pathetic poetry like this.

      Delete
  7. Hahahaha =P
    The poem was indeed cute!
    I'd been to a workshop where they told us that when you WANT to write but can't, just take a paper and pen and start writing continuously, anything, like if you want to write number names, okay not that, but write that im sitting on a chair, trying to write, write anything, write what you ate, but write without stopping AT ALL, without proof reading or lifting your hand to think.
    Like that, if you write for about 25-30 mins which sir said was minimum, you might stumble upon an idea :] Or else, carry on that way!
    Be back soon :D
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems like a way to get the juices flowing, will give it a shot.

      Thanks Nirali.

      Delete
    2. *Nirati.
      And I hope it works! :]

      Delete
    3. Sorry for goofing up your name Nirati.

      It's already begun working, have a couple of ideas in mind. Thanks again.

      Delete
  8. haha :D
    You wrote a post when you are suffering from Writer's block! Wah! :D
    The poem is cute and funny, Dinga linga ding :D
    And Yes, you recently got an award na! Why don't you do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This should hardly count as a post and I wanted to write something before putting in the poem just so that people don't think it was written by a 5 year old.

      I`ve already done that tag before - no fun in doing it again, right?

      Thanks CD.

      Delete
  9. I HATE writers' block. Ironically, it almost always strikes me when I have lots of spare time, and when I'm itching to write :/
    Hmm, you could write a book review. Or make lists- for instance, the books you'd like to read/recommend to others, places to visit, blah blah. I haven't tried it though. When writers' block hits me, I usually grumble a bit, and then promptly go take a nap. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's precisely what's happening now, loads of time at hand and my brain goes blank.

      The book review/ recommendation sounds good, let me see what I can do.

      Appreciate your input Sruthi.

      Delete
  10. ooo..u used cat picture..m so happy now...your writers block is forgiven..
    but you no come me blag and see me diamond like header..
    why you do this bleh...? *showing fist*

    wat poem was that..?
    jahaha..dinga linga ding it seems...
    still..for an awesome sauce effort..

    *pats on ze back*

    u know wat..lets form a group..
    the Yips Yappers..

    whenever there be writers block we shall get together and abuse the government :D:D:D
    ok ok..
    that was nothing short of a pathetic drab

    aa...me also writes poetry..
    see see

    broodily and moodily...the keyboard stares at you
    tick tick tick the seconds go by..waiting for a movement new
    staring staring your nightmares it will slowly creepily invade
    and turn you into a ding a ling cat who doesn't even look that great
    So my dear mate..better kick your bum
    and write your awesome posts as amazing as rum !!

    OKKKKKKKKKKK..this poem shoould get an award
    for being the most non sensical piece of crap ever to have been produced since the evolution of Homo Sapiens..
    aaa..never mind..the benedryl is talking..bleddyyy blocked nose..
    pffttt..


    daa..get out of writers block and brick and all..
    fast fast only..
    don't let yours truly rub off on you..
    khi khi khi


    cheers!!

    PS-See..see seeeeeee..even out of nothingggg i can make a mile long comment..
    blahahaha :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, manufacture a post out of nothing - maybe that'll help me write better.

      and seriously - that poem is - I have no words :D

      Delete
  11. Dinga ling ling!! :)

    I've been on that horrid block since the start of the year! Sucks.

    Just write random stuff until then, my blog's been surviving on that. Works :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is stifling isn't it?

      Block or not - I`m going the random way, surely feel the need to loosen up.

      Thanks Soumya.

      Delete
  12. If MSM feels that the poetry was heartwarming - then make way for the next John Keats :D.

    Thanks Missy, needed that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dinga ling ling! Hilarious poem. I am yet to experience this nightmare. So I really can't help you with that. But you managed quite a post even with the aforementioned disease. Keep faith. :)

    www.justanotherhopelesslyromanticgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firstly, welcome aboard.

      Of all the posts here, I`m sorry you had to read this one up front.

      Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  14. tell me about it :( I started this awesome april thing and didn't even post . EPIC FAIL !!!!

    Totally get it ..you have been missed .
    Hope to see you back soon :P Try zeback home for a few days , ze parents will provide tons of inspiration :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Also the poem not bad at all :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I`m seriously going to ask Mother Earth to swallow me for writing this poem. :P

      Naah, I saw a few good posts from your list of cue's in April - So no EPIC FAIL.

      Now get back to your usual posts and I possibly cannot dream of going home for quite sometime now, let alone just for inspiration.

      Thanks for the inputs and for coming by Nirali.

      Delete
    2. You read them :D also how do you know my name :O :O :O

      Delete
    3. Ofcourse I did, they were meant to be read, weren't they?

      I have my sources :P.

      Delete
  16. Here are the words I sing,
    Evil is a horrid thing,
    I sing sing sing,
    Dinga linga ling.

    ROFL...It was brilliant and sensible to a T. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy Mother Earth, Swallow me Now :P.

      Thanks for stopping by Missy.

      Delete
  17. Bah, forget about writing until it comes.

    Ask a lot of questions, that's what I do. I basically have a conversation with myself until I talk so much that I realise what I want to talk about.

    But that's demented really, don't try that.

    Sleep on it.

    I fail at finding solutions. Talk about a mind-blank? And how we loathe it. And how we all go through the moment where the only thing in our brain is air.

    No that fails too. I'll just stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get the mind blank thing - its something akin to what happens in viva's and exam halls right?

      The repeated question thing actually sounds sensible, I`ll give it a shot.

      Danke Zeebs.

      Delete
    2. Mind blanks, they can occur anywhere.

      You could have a conversation, and then you're lost in thoughts about how male sparrows breed, and then someone's asking you for your opinion and it's too much to bear so now you're cursing your wits because you don't remember the question and yeah...

      (I stopped breathing when typing that whole thing out)

      Maybe that's ADD and not mindblank. But you get the idea.

      Delete
  18. Whatay post when you are suffering from a writer's block...wah...

    Dinga linga ling?? :D :D :D

    But yeah, when even the most creative room on this planet does not get your creative juices flowing, you are a certified patient :P

    Well, to come out of it, I would suggest a couple of things. If your semester schedules allow you the liberty, pack your bags and take a vacation. Nothing like visiting a new place and travelling to know more about the world right :) Or you could do the age old trick which we followed as little students - my favourite village( i know it sounds lame :P), my top 10 thriller movies of all time, etc..etc.. Or you could make a list of the people who inspired you to blog...

    -Visha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do need a vacation - its been too long and believe me when I say I am seriously contemplating committing crime to go to my *village* now but unfortunately can't.

      Did try some of the things you've mentioned - Thanks Visha.

      Delete
  19. Maybe you should tell your parents that you wanna get married, and let them start searching for a girl for you. You'll get plenty to write aboout then. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, I`m not that zoned out.

      On a side note - What did I ever do to you to deserve this? :P :P

      Delete
  20. Oh God, Why did I ever have to write that poem? :P

    I did spend a lot of time reading some wonderful blogs as well, must confess it helped in some ways.

    Appreciate your coming by Ashwini.

    ReplyDelete
  21. AS !!

    Writer's block ah?
    The best way to get rid of writer's block is to write about writer's block - there ! It even made you write one of the awesomest poems :) Truly !

    Come to think of it - One cannot have a writer's block right? Surely you haven't shared everything with the world ? Or are you not able to choose? Or did you not look out of the window ?

    Share a Calvin and Hobbes strip and talk of his awesomeness or something, I say ! or even a Wiki- referenced article on something you really like or enjoy ? If any of this is your style.

    Do something you haven't ever tried your hand at before and brag about it. Whatever, I am checking this space atleast twice a week. Please oblige.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its blown over Toffee, I have some ideas doing gymnastics in my head now, so can safely say that i`m out of the rut.

      Its true that I haven't shared everything in the world - anonymity for one doesn't give me that luxury personally but otherwise I do keep spraying my wacky takes on certain topics every now and then.

      Will try writing more often, especially since you are sweet enough to check this sham of a blog twice a week.

      Danke Toffee.

      Delete

Scribble Back to me