One realizes the true virtue of something when one experiences its extremities. The warmth in the dead of winter is best appreciated when the heater goes kaput, the value of a charger is realized when the battery level on our devices reads 1% remaining and the sight of a recently emptied toilet paper roll in the bathroom when we're done with our 'business' makes us realize that we possess emotions like shame or humiliation.
In the life I`ve known so far - I`ve been a morning person. Waking up when it is still pitch dark and dead silent outside, taking in the crisp air that is pregnant with freshness and making the first brew of strong coffee; not merely as chores but rituals that I have grown up with while pacing myself for many a day- ahead.
In order for me to be up by what would still qualify as the middle of the night for most people; 10 PM irrespective of the day of the week is when I fell asleep. The world shut down at that arbitrary point on the clock only to restart again in the wee hours of the morning and lights out wasn't merely a physical switching off of the lights but of my eyelids as well. This system literally worked like clockwork ( no pun intended) when I would wake up from my hours of necessary rest at precisely the same time every morning.

However recently, things took a turn for the worse. For the first time in life - I found myself straying on the dark side - with being consistently awake beyond my bedtime and struggling to get some shut eye despite lying in bed for what seemed like all eternity. Being new at the insomnia circus, I didn't really know what one did to kill time. To add to the sleeplessness, the silence in the room is so thick you could literally cut it with a knife. It is like a floating entity watching you stare at it while sneering at you.
There is only so much staring that one can do in the dark without one's subconscious going into overdrive. Some of the areas I constantly touch during such bouts of sleeplessness are stark boring but other earth shattering questions like - Why are the housewives in Desperate Housewives so desperate? Does Sex and the City actually show porn? Did the makers of How I met your mother suffer from a brain freeze post Season 2? Will there ever be a show as awesome as FRIENDS? also figure in the mix.
If this were at home in India, I surmised that I'd have the luxury of staring at the creaky rotating fan for solace but not here. To top that I'd probably go and wake up Amma in the middle of the night and she'd very sleepily make some wisecrack about reading her Doctoral Thesis for leisure which has magical sleep inducing powers and shoo me away.
Eventually when I did fall asleep, it was because I was bored out my wits and finally decided to take solace in the last resort - to read through an extremely drab Control Engineering textbook filled with pages and pages of equations and circuits filled with dozens of alphas, betas, gamma's, delta's, PI controllers, feedback loops, Flux capacitors and time machines to finally get some shut eye in the succeeding few moments.
To the wiseass who coined the phrase - Mommy knows best; Amen to you kind Sir/madam.
Aaah Insomnia can suck the life out of you.. I'm sooo that!
ReplyDeleteIf you wake up in the wee hours, that's when I sleep.. Hehehe...
Oh but you know what try the conventional sheep counting..it may help :P
Tell me about it, pity the full time insomniacs.
DeleteCounting sheep doesn't work as well - The Control systems textbook though works like a charm :P.
I cannot relate to this. Never suffered from insomnia, not even self induced.
ReplyDeleteSIGH!
You should thank your stars for not being hit by it.
DeleteI am not a morning person, yet I'm an insomniac. Sigh, that's a totally crazy blessing to live with.
ReplyDeleteAnd no, there cannot be any show as awesome as FRIENDS. Never ever.
Plenty of my friends are like you; makes me wonder if I`m the odd one out somehow :P.
DeleteWorddd on FRIENDS being the greatest ever.
Hahhahhahaha i have been through them, Insomnia is like a fair weather friend to me :P .. But weird enough i enjoy those moments of solitude :P . That eeriness, answers and solves most of the questions and troubles i have :D ...
ReplyDeleteIn a funny way, insomnia does give you the zone to question your choices in a sort of reflective way - but once you're past that - it becomes plain old garden variety boring.
DeleteI had completely forgotten how well you write.
ReplyDeleteI sleep by 10PM too. The days when I try to wake up past 12AM to mug I get hypnogogic hallucinations.
I had insomnia for a few days last year. I never understood why it came in and why or how it left. I cannot describe in words how I felt when it lasted,
And to answer a few of your questions. No, Sex and the City does not show porn. But, GIRLS on HBO (Sunday, 10PM) shows something very very close to it and yet so distinct.
Hello Doc, good to have you back reading here.
Delete2 hours of sleep is way too less and Hallucinations sound scary. Good luck on both those fronts.
GIRLS on HBO this Sunday it is.
Hi.
DeleteWhaaaattttt? There is some misunderstanding. I don't sleep for 2 hours. I sleep for more than 6 hours.
Oh and those hallucinations are not scary and they are pretty normal. Many people get it but don't realise that they are named hypnogogic hallucinations.
Please do not watch the latest episode of Girls. You will most definitely hate me for the rest of your life. Just see the season 1 episode 1 if you are really curious. It is named Girls for a reason. Boys will most definitely hate it.
hehehe..... some of the answers; no - there will not be a phenomenon as awesome as friends. If it is any solace to you, there will come a time when you will want to sleep standing up, crouching down or singing lullabies - but won't be able to. Thats the first step in parenting :-)
ReplyDeleteGlad to know there are a few hardcore FRIENDS fans hanging around here.
DeleteJust reading your description of parenting is making me break into a sweat :P.
Ha ha.. Funny post! There are many insomniacs roaming around, you should probably take tips from them on how to pass time.
ReplyDeleteAnd oh, I used to be a morning person, then lost the habit while I was in hostel. I used to get up in the morning and none else would have gotten up. So out of boredom, I started sleeping till late in the morning. Now I wish I hadn't lost the habit :(
Thats hardly being a non-morning person; maybe you can call it being a Late morning person :P
DeleteI was an insomniac and it made me depressive always. No matter how hard I tried to sleep, my mind wouldn't allow. It went to an extreme phase where my eyes started having blood clots and I started moving into the next phase of depression (the serious one), when I met the doc. He enlightened me various potential reasons for my sleeplessness and strongly advised me to have chocolate or ice cream before sleeping. Hitting the gym or reading a pleasing book also helps. You need to be satisfied and happy about the works you did on that particular day. Its very important for inner peace and in turn a good night sleep.
ReplyDeleteJust another well wisher.
Thanks for the long comment brother.
DeleteYour experience seems scary and dangerous, glad that you were able to solve it.
Welcome here :)
pretty nice blog, following :)
ReplyDeleteOhmygod! It would make you happy to know that I specifically came here to see if you were back yet! :D
ReplyDeleteAlso for the insomnia you get these night dreams in
Those who say they aren't bitten by this Insomnia freak are just so lucky and remotely dangerous. Tell me about it man, it kills you, you want to sleep, every tired cell of your body wants just one thing SLEEP and there you are, still awake like an Owl. It might be good with guest appearance but if it just don't go away, you need to consider it, you can't let Control Engineering books to be the cure anyway. That subject was a nightmare to me too.
ReplyDeleteAlso, you are addicted to sitcoms, don't keep dreaming about them if you really want to sleep. And I'm not a doctor slash psychiatrist slash mind reader, just saying.
Good to see you back!
Morning person ah? What is that? What is morning? Why you be like this?
ReplyDeletePost more :/
I am a night person,although thankfully I am not an insomniac. It's so peaceful in the dark hours of night/early hours of morning. Sometimes I like to stay up till sunrise, and other days wake with it.
ReplyDeleteInsomnia and it's reflective side
ReplyDelete